New Basket

I started a new basket, it’s just in its infancy right now.  I’m trying something a little different, though, we’ll see how it works out.  I am using 20 gauge wire for the skeleton or ribbing (I don’t know what it’s really called, but that’s what I call it).  Essentially the core of the basket that gives it the strength and shape.  Then instead of using 26 gauge wire to fill it out like I usually do for a basket of this size, I went another step down and used 28 gauge.  Now, for those of you who aren’t familiar with the workings of copper wire, 28 gauge wire is VERY thin, similar to about 2-3 strands of hair.  I usually use this wire for my miniature baskets and along the top rim to finish off the ends.  I decided to use this wire with the hope that it will give me more flexibility on shaping.  It won’t be as neat and exact, though, which might not make my OCD side quite as happy.  Only time will tell

I’ll keep you updated on the progress.

Here is a photo of the start – keep in mind that I haven’t cleaned up the starter edges so there’s a lot of mess around the middle, but you’ll get the general idea.  You can click this link to see some of my finished copper baskets (they’re for sale, hint hint…)  (And there is more than one page of photos as well)

Advertisements